1) Is there someone on your list of 16-great-great-grandparents that you don't have a census record for, and for which one should be available? If you have all of your great-great-grands (or they are not on the census records), what about your great-grands, your grands, or your parents? What about siblings of your great-grands? What about your spouse's family lines? Go find at least one!Choosing somewhat at random, I decided to search for one of my husband's gg-grandmother's siblings, Ward JAMES. From earlier censuses, I knew that he was born around 1895, in Illinois, and I knew that by 1930, most of his family was in Brown County, South Dakota.
2) Tell us about it in your blog, comments to this post, or comments in Facebook. While you're at it, give us a source citation for your census finding too (you do make source citations, don't you?).
Using Footnote's limited time free access to the 1930 census, I quickly found Ward and his family living in Lansing Township, Brown County, South Dakota.

* Ward R. James - head, renter, owns a radio, lives on a farm, male, white, 35, married, first married at 28, did not attend school this year, can read and write, born Illinois, father born Illinois, mother born Illinois, able to speak and write English, Farmer, farm
* Ines E. James - wife, female, white, 25, married, first married at 18, did not attend school this year, can read and write, born Wisconsin, father born Wisconsin, mother born Wisconsin, occupation none
* Ivan W. James - son, male, white, 2, single, did not attend school this year, can not read and write, born South Dakota, father born Illinois, mother born Wisconsin, occupation none
1930 U.S. Federal Census, Lansing Township, Brown County, South Dakota, ED 7-37, Sheet 1a, Family 6, Ward R. James household, jpeg image, [Digital scan of original records in the National Archives, Washington, DC], subscription database,
I'd previously known nothing about Ward James as an adult, so I added his wife and child to my file today.
I did a little more digging online and easily found when Ward, Inez, and Ivan passed away, as well as the name of Ivan's wife. It appears that she is likely still living.
1 comment:
Oh, heck yes! I've never been able to find my own grandmother in 1920 (she would have been 9). I've come to believe her mother was in a sanitarium, and her children might have been farmed out to people I've yet found.
But where the heck was their father?
Post a Comment