Saturday, December 12, 2009

Advent Calendar: Charitable/Volunteer Work

Did your family ever volunteer with a charity such as a soup kitchen, homeless or battered women’s shelter during the holidays? Or perhaps were your ancestors involved with church groups that assisted others during the holiday?

We give to charities throughout the year, but last year, my husband's family adopted another family for Christmas, through a local charity clearinghouse. It was a single mom and her three children, and some of the things they requested for Christmas were heartbreaking... laundry soap, blankets (because they only had 1 each), shampoo... We divided up the list and hit the Black Friday sales, accumulating a huge pile of gifts for this family, and it felt good. It was the most fun I ever had Christmas shopping, because I knew that someone was really going to appreciate the gift. We weren't able to do it this year, but I hope we will again soon--especially as the children become old enough to understand.

Find more Advent Calendar posts at Geneabloggers!

No comments: