Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent Calendar: Holiday Foods

Did your family or ancestors serve traditional dishes for the holidays? Was there one dish that was unusual?

For me, it's not Christmas without lefse! My Norwegian grandma makes it every year. I've made it once with her and once with my mother-in-law, but one of these years I'm going to get a lefse grill of my own and practice.


I also think of Grandma's variety of Christmas cookies. One of her specialties is a chocolate cookie that I've always known as "dog turds." That's what Grandma calls them, because that's what they look like!

Christmas dinner is pretty traditional Midwestern American fare, usually turkey or ham with potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes, and other sides. My grandma never mashed her potatoes when I was a kid, though--she riced them! Mmmm, I love riced potatoes.

We'll be hosting Christmas Eve for both sides of our family this year, which is a little intimidating. I'm just not a very practiced cook, and unlike most of our family, I'm a vegetarian. My mom has been delegated the task of making the turkey, my mother-in-law is bringing mashed potatoes, my husband's aunt is in charge of pies, my friend is making a Christmas pudding, and my sister-in-law is bringing the cookies. So hmmm, that means that with a quick stop at the deli, I should be done, right? (Ha ha.)

Find more Advent Calendar posts at Geneabloggers!

No comments: