Often times December to mid-January birthdays and anniversaries get over shadowed by the Christmas/Hanukkah/New Year holidays. So we're going to shine a spotlight on those family members and ancestors this time around. Select one or more December to mid-January birthdays and/or anniversaries on your family tree. Write a short tribute to or memory of those birthday guys and gals and write a toast to the anniversary couples.
The timing of this topic couldn't be better: my grandpa was born 94 years ago today. He died in 1983, when I was only 5 years old, but I remember him clearly and still miss him. I catch glimpses of him now in my dad, especially when I see him interact with my daughter. My little girl has a wonderful grandpa because I did, too.
Grandpa's name was Howard. Most people called him Shorty, though he was well over 6 feet tall. I've heard that he got the nickname in high school, before a late growth spurt. To me, he was Grandpa Shorty. He was soft spoken and gentle. He loved his kids and his grandchildren. He worked hard to take care of his family. He died too soon, and I wish I could have known him longer.

1 comment:
What a sweet tribute to your grandfather! I like your idea of featuring family/ancestors' life events that might otherwise get overshadowed by the holidays.
Post a Comment