Every once in a while I come across a TV show or book that speaks to the genealogist in me, and then I wonder "Why haven't I heard of this before?" Usually it's not the most highly rated program or a bestselling book, so I thought I'd pass along my recommendations now and then. As a true couch potato, I'll start with one of my new favorite television shows.I have a new TV obsession: "The Locator." It's on WE on Saturday evenings, but a recent Locator marathon left my DVR full of re-runs. I didn't know about it until its star, Troy Dunn, was featured on a recent episode of Oprah, and now I'm hooked.
The premise is pretty simple, and it's a perfect formula to hook an amateur genealogist. Troy is a private investigator who helps people find other people... sometimes old friends, sometimes an organ donor, but usually a family member. Often it's a father or sibling. One week each month, he and his team take on what they call an "Angel Case," like pro bono work. They're the cases that move them the most.
It's not just the reunions that hook me, but the research. When Troy and his team discuss the clues they have, I find myself thinking about how *I* would go about finding the person. I think that we genealogists have a lot of crossover skills here.
What's your favorite TV for Genealogists?
2 comments:
I enjoy this show myself. One of these days I might have to recruit him. My husband has several siblings unaccounted for -- long story. I also like History Detectives.
Tracy,
Thomas at Destination: Austin Family wrote
Genealogy Television Programs Sprouting Up. I just left him a message about your article about The Locator. I just watched a couple of episodes and the two shows seem to be pretty similar. Maybe this is a new trend! Thanks for letting us know.
Post a Comment