What were your favorite gifts, both to receive and to give? Are there specific gift-giving traditions among your family or ancestors?
I love giving Christmas gifts when I know just what to get. Shopping for my daughter's gifts is fun, because I usually know just what she'd love. For our nieces and nephew, it's more difficult, because I don't know what they already have. For the adults, it's a chore.
And I love my family, but I hate the credit card statement in January. Every year we vow to spend less, but it never really works out... you can only cut back so much, when you're expected to buy gifts for so many people. I was thrilled when several of the adults in my husband's family agreed to opt out, but that still leaves me with a shopping list for 19 people, plus playing Santa. And really, what's the point? Does anyone remember many of the gifts they received last year or the year before?
My family doesn't have any particular gift-giving traditions, but in my husband's family, there are always envelopes with cash in the tree. I don't know where the tradition started, but it's continued because it was something that his paternal grandparents always did.
For my daughter, I make a point to always include one particular things among her Christmas gifts: new pajamas. The Tinker Bell PJ's she requested recently are waiting to be washed, wrapped, and worn to bed on Christmas Eve.
No comments:
Post a Comment