Sunday, September 13, 2009

What do you look for in a GenWeb site?

I recently offered to take over the Moody County (South Dakota) GenWeb site. My great-great-grandparents homesteaded there and my hometown is there, so I feel connected to the area despite the fact that I don't live there now. I'm looking forward to learning more about Moody County history and the families there.

The gentleman who has been administering the site has put a lot of work into it and done a good job, but of course I'm trying to think of ways to make it bigger and better. I'm asking for some advice...

When I venture to learn about a "new" branch of the family, I almost always seek out the GenWeb site for the county in which they lived. Some are better than others. I always hope to find three things: historical biographies from local history books, city directories, and cemetery indexes.

If you use GenWeb, what do you look for in a site? Which are the best ones you've come across? I'd love some suggestions!

3 comments:

Xfaith said...

I love the one for Lackawanna county PA. I think it could use a little more ease of use, but its got so much information on it, from marriage cert. indexing to census info, photos and will indexing.

Thomas MacEntee said...

Taneya Koonce of Taneya's Genealog Blog (http://www.taneya-kalonji.com/genblog/) has done a great job with some NC GenWeb sites - she has incorporated a blog in each to send out updates and news:

http://www.ncgenweb.us/ncgenweb-news

http://www.ncgenweb.us/onslow/blog

Anonymous said...

My Favorite so far has been the Jefferson County, NY site. Lots of info and easy to search!