Sunday, December 6, 2009

Advent Calendar: Santa Claus

Did you ever send a letter to Santa? Did you ever visit Santa and “make a list?” Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

My mom still likes to remind me that the first time I sat on Santa's lap, I peed on him. In my defense, I was 3 months old. ;-) I don't have any memories of visiting Santa Claus when I was a child, but I have seen a few photos.

This one just makes me laugh. Who does that Santa think he's fooling, anyway, with those dark eyebrows? I was onto him!

1978 or 1979?

I'm guessing this next one was 1979, because it appears to have been taken in the living room of the rental house where we lived when I was very small. I don't remember it, except from photos. Looks like I still wasn't ready to sit on Santa's lap.


When I was 3, my mom even paid a coworker to come over on Christmas Eve, dressed as Santa. I guess I didn't notice the dark eyebrows that year, because I bought it hook, line, and sinker.

1980

But I really hope I wasn't dumb enough to buy this one! (That's me in the corner, back in my naturally blond days.)


I do remember writing letters to Santa when I was a kid. One year it even appeared in the newspaper, because the local paper would collect letters addressed to Santa from specially assigned mailboxes.


Do I still believe in Santa Claus? Well, the official answer is yes, of course. I believe for my 2-year-old daughter Lily, who went to visit Santa yesterday.

Her first visit to Santa was in 2007, at a Breakfast with Santa event at the local zoo.


She was even less happy about this in 2008.


Yesterday she still wasn't so sure about this old guy, but she bravely ran up to him and sat on his lap. She didn't look him in the eye, but when he asked what she wanted for Christmas, my Little-Mermaid-obsessed girl said "Ariel." (Hmmm. I guess Santa needs to do some more shopping.)


I love the tradition and mystery of Santa Claus.


Find more Advent Calendar posts at Geneabloggers!

No comments: