Thursday, December 3, 2009

Advent Calendar: Christmas Tree Ornaments

Did your family have heirloom or cherished ornaments? Did you ever string popcorn and cranberries? Did your family or ancestors make Christmas ornaments?

The ornaments from my childhood are a hodgepodge collection, including many that I made in elementary school. My favorite is perhaps the tiny scene I made in kindergarten--half a walnut shell with cotton ball snow and a very, very small plastic reindeer, with red yarn glued to the back. I don't know how it has survived this many Christmases. However, I don't remember ever stringing popcorn or cranberries or making ornaments outside of school. Maybe we're just not crafty that way.

During our first Christmas season together, my husband (then fiance) and I decided to start a tradition of buying one new ornament each year. The first one we bought, in 2004, was a Hallmark ornament with the words "Our First Christmas Together." In 2005, we didn't buy an ornament, but we received a small cross-stitch from a family friend. It was a wedding gift and includes our name and wedding date. It's really too big for the tree, but I hang it nearby. In 2006, we found an ornament to commemorate our first pregnancy; on it, a chicken sits on an egg, knitting, while the rooster sits nearby reading a book on parenting. Last year we bought a Snow White ornament at Disney World, to remember our daughter's first trip and the Snow White dress she wanted to wear every day for months.

But since our daughter was born in 2007, that year is represented by a "baby's first Christmas" ornament, and I think it will become more dear to me with each passing year.


I'm sure we'll be looking for a "new house" ornament this year, since we moved this summer to the house where we hope to stay until our children are grown. I'm looking forward to many family Christmas celebrations here, with many more ornaments on the tree.

Find more Advent Calendar posts at Geneabloggers!

1 comment:

Joan said...

Tracy, the ornament of your daughter reminded me of all of the homemade ornaments for my mother's tree, the Gran of the Clan. Every child, grandchild, and great grandchild had an ornament with their picture attached. Every year when we got together for her tree decorating party, each child was so proud of putting their very own ornament on her tree.

You have started at wonderful tradition that will grow and grow. Congratulations.